Saturday, November 2, 2013

Day #2

Today I am most thankful for my son.  He was a dream of mine my entire life.  I always wanted to be a mother.  I always longed to have a son.  For years, I had his name picked out, long before he was ever even close to being conceived.  His first name, Brody, was chosen from the movie Jaws, after the Chief of Police, Martin Brody.  I always thought it would be adorable to call my little son Chief Brody and could picture him running around with a toy pistol shooting bad guys.  His middle name was carried down from the paternal side of the family, being the same middle name of his Great-grandfather, Grandfather and Father.  I was never more sure of anything, what my sons name would be. 
After our child was conceived, I anxiously awaited the ultrasound that would determine if I was in fact having a boy.  I had a quite miserable pregnancy, far from glowing.  We wanted to know the sex, and after the all the physical developments were examined, she scanned past something that I thought looked like an "indicator", then when she asked if we wanted to know the sex, I knew what I saw and I burst into tears.  I was having my son!
He was due in August but came 4 weeks early, unexpectedly.  I researched the traits of a Cancer astrological sign.  They are described as loving, gentle, sensitive, imaginative, loyal homebodies. He is exactly all of those things.  He LOVES his family so deeply, he is super sensitive and can easily get his feelings hurt, he is so funny and intelligent, he loves just being around the house playing and singing, or just snuggling on the couch with me watching a movie.  He loves cooking with me and helping me do chores.  He is quite the responsible five year old.  He draws me pictures, brings me every little rock, pine cone, or brightly colored leaf he finds in the yard.  If he finds me a heart-shaped rock, he is more excited than I.  He says our blessing at every meal and blows kisses up to the heavens.  He is respectful and well behaved, very wise beyond his years and so kind and loving. 
Selfishly and regretfully, he has experienced many things that children his age should never go through.  He has wiped away my tears many times but tells me several times a day just how much he loves and how good I am to him. 
I've always heard parents say 'you never really know love until you have a child'.  I can honestly say that is the truest statement I've ever experienced.  I had never felt such an intense range of emotions as when I became a mother.  The deepest, fullest, strongest love I have ever know, the most heavenly sense of pride as I watch him thrive, the most fierce fears, the intense desire to protect him.  It's nearly indescribable.  My life has changed completely because of my son.  He is the most peaceful, satisfying, prideful, truly, completely happiest part of my world.  I love him more than words could ever describe.  I could not be more blessed to be a mother, especially a mother to a wonderfully caring and thoughtful little boy as my son.  Everyday, I am so very thankful that God gave him to me and I am completely honored to be his mother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment