I'm not sure if warmth could be considered a feeling, but in my home this evening it is. The weatherman is calling for more winter weather tonight and my little boy is most certainly looking forward to a snow day tomorrow. We have dumped a countless number of ice cubes in our toilets (as instructed by his teacher) and we will be wearing our pajamas inside out as we sleep. Our tummies are full of good homemade chicken pot pie, courtesy of my mother and brownies that Brody & I made the other night. I have a few candles lit, my fuzzy slippers on, a nice hot cup of coffee in my hand, getting settled in for a quiet, winters evening at home. I can hear Brody from the other room singing a song that is clearly an original of his, only to be interrupted briefly by a "vroom..vroom..." noise he makes while he rides his truck across the couch. Tonight I feel warm, content and peaceful. Even though I hear the cold rain falling down outside the window, it's cozy in my little home, full of warmth. There is an underlying excitement as we await the winter weather ahead. But I can imagine it precisely, a small piece of heaven on earth, when I slide into my bed shortly and completely melt into it. And the love and pride I feel as I listen to my son say his prayers before we fall into our nights slumber. We have had plenty of snow this winter season and I am most certainly a summer girl at heart, but on nights like tonight, I appreciate the warmth of home on this cold winters night.
“Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.” Edith Sitwell
No comments:
Post a Comment