Monday, October 22, 2012

Begin Again

Have you ever come across a song that moves you emotionally so much that you put it on repeat and listen to it endlessly for weeks?  Have you ever had a song land in your lap with the most perfect timing you feel as though it was written just for you?  That happened to me today.  I got Taylor Swift's new album today.  Go ahead and make jokes, but if you ever truly listened to her lyrics you would quickly understand this young woman is no bubble gum pop princess.  There is certainly an age difference between us, how much I will not disclose, but her soul is from another time and place that is rarely seen in this age of digital downloads.
I put in her cd and it's been playing since we got home, randomly hearing the songs as I pass through between dinner & cleaning up.  I hear this one verse about having more James Taylor records or something like that and of course it stops me in my tracks.  I start the song over and before the end of the chorus I am crying my heart out.  It's been on repeat ever since, along with my tears.  This is one of those moments where it's nice to know someone out there felt the exact same way as I do.  It's hard to explain the feeling when it happens but I'm sure there are many music lovers who have experienced this connection with a song. 
So, as I haven't reached the point in my life that she wrote about in this song, I know it's what I will feel one day soon.....as I begin again.....

http://youtu.be/SOw4EfQK72o

begin again
took a deep breath in the mirror
he didn't like it when i wore high heels...but i do.
turn the lock and put my headphones on
he always said he didn't get this song...but i do.
walked in expecting you'd be late
but you got here early and you stand and wave.
i walk to you, you pull my chair out and help me in.
and you don't know how nice that is...but i do.
and you throw your head back laughing like a little kid.
i think it's strange that you think i'm funny cause he never did.
i've been spending the last 8 months thinking all love ever does
is break...and burn...and end....
but on a wednesday in a cafe...i watched it begin again....
 
you said you never met one girl who
 had as many james taylor records as you...but i do.
we tell stories and you don't know why
i'm coming off a little shy...but i do.
i think it's strange that you think i'm funny because he never did.
i've been spending the last 8 months thinking all love ever does
is break...and burn...and end....
but on a wednesday in a cafe...i watched it begin again....
 
and we walked down the block, to my car
and i almost brought him up.
but you start to talk about the movies that
your family watches every single christmas
and i want to talk about that...
and for the first time...what's past is past...
i think it's strange that you think i'm funny because he never did.
i've been spending the last 8 months thinking all love ever does
is break...and burn...and end....
but on a wednesday in a cafe...i watched it begin again....
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment