Sunday, October 30, 2011

Magic...

My dearest Auntie, who is more like a mother to me, bought me "Where the Sidewalk Ends" By Shel Silverstein when I was a young girl.  It's a children's book of poems and I memorized nearly all the poems, giggling all the way.  I held on to that book forever, but somewhere along the way between high school and marriage, I lost it.  I was recently in the book store looking for Halloween books for my son and found it there on the shelf.  As soon as I opened that book and slid my hand down the page, there I was, laying on my bed, with my feet criss crossed in the air reading this book at the age of nine.  I recalled all the pictures and most of the poems.  I have never felt so much like a kid again as I did in that very moment.  I bought it immediately and read the entire book as fast as I could.  It's kind of odd to think that the last time I read that book was when I was such a child, without a care in the world.  Nothing but homework to worry about...ahhh...those were the days.  It's funny how something like that can instantly rush you back to a time that you had all but forgotten, like a song or a smell can.  So here is one of the many I'd like to share:
Magic by Shel Silverstein
Sandra's seen a leprechaun,
Eddie touched a troll,
Laurie danced with witches once,
Charlie found some goblins' gold.
Donald heard a mermaid sing,
Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have known
I've had to make myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment