Those of you who have known me for a while know the story of why I chose Brody's name. For those of you who don't, will soon find out. So one of my all time favorite movies is "Jaws". I have seen that movie at least 2,000 times and know it pretty much line for line. About 10 years prior to ever having a child, I chose the name Brody from Chief Brody from "Jaws". There is a scene in the movie, when Chief Brody is sitting at the dinner table, thinking of the way he is going to exterminate this great white shark that has wreaked havoc on his island. His son is sitting at the table with him, while the Chief's wife watches from the other room. Chief slides his hands into one another, locking his fingers together, then the son does. Chief moves his clinched hands under his chin, the son does the same. Then Chief makes a monster face and of course, the son mirrors his father with the cutest little toothless grin and it just melts my heart. Being that I named my son Brody after this very scene of the movie, it has a very special meaning to me, as my son, Brody is my entire world. As much as I imagined that this scene would replay itself with my son in real life one day, I never actually thought that it would.
Tonight, we were eating out and waiting for our food to be delivered to the table. My husband, losing his patience slightly, clinches his hands together and lays them on the table. Without skipping a beat, Brody does the same thing. My husband & I both notice, thinking the same thing instantly....so he slowly moves his hands under his chin, Brody does the same. He then makes the infamous monster face and Brody mirrors him exactly. At this moment, I actually burst into tears. I can't believe that this actually played out, better than I ever imagined. It's nearly indescribable. For years, long before he was ever conceived, I had the name of my son chosen from this movie. To have that scene happen, with my own son and husband, kind of brings things full circle. Of course my husband wanted to crawl under the table because I was crying in public at the table and Brody was none the wiser....but for me...it was quite a moment.
No comments:
Post a Comment